Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This is War.. But I'm not Picking Sides


The other day while logged in Rift I came across a player that expressed he was unwilling to play in a "split guild". Meaning a guild where players both play Rift and Wow. It brought up a hot button topic for me and made me crack up. I understand that MMO players are very passionate about the games they play, I mean we have to be if we are going to spend as much time as we do leveling, gearing, rep grinding and organizing groups. But one thing I wish people would stop doing is the whole my game vs your game deal. 

When I started playing MMO games I still played many other games especially console and other pc games. Some of my favorite games are Metroid, Halo, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Starcraft, Red Alert, and much more. I don't pick sides. I have been enjoying Rift ever since beta and do believe I will stick with it for a long time. Trion has a great dev team and I see that staying the same moving forward. But I wouldn't let my enjoyment of one game be ruined just because other people like to play other games too. Its nice to have options on what to do so I dont get completely burnt out in one place. 

That is one thing I think us as MMO players tend to do is we play and play the game we love all day, all night and all weekend and eventually we get bored with the current content. Eventually a new patch or expansion comes out and its all good, new stuff to do. But sometimes those patches don't come fast enough and people start to blame the devs for not giving us enough to do. 

Well here is my suggestion.. Leave your client open so you can chat with you guild and go play some xbox or ps3 or whatever. Don't just wrap up your entire gaming life (or entire real life) into one game, because if you do chances are you will be sorely let down. I'd love to see MMO companies make a smaller client that you can run while playing other games. That basically allows you to run the guild chat client while you are running another game. I know they do not want to break the immersion of their game by doing such but I would be interested to see if it keeps their subscriptions even after people have cleared all their current content. Me personally I would be inclined to keep my sub even if I am not playing as much since I would be able to chit chat with my mates.

It doesn't have to be about choosing sides, but rather being open to try new things people. I know that is the biggest reason MMO players from other games have not tried Rift. Its not the money, its not the time, its that they feel "at home" where they are. Why do we have to choose sides? Why can't we just take our friends wherever we go no matter what game we are playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment